Sunday

VINTAGE TEES

So a few months ago when I was in San Francisco, I bought a PERFECTLY worn in vintage white v-neck tee at Wasteland on Haight st (my friend's boyfriend was absolutely shocked that I would spend $28 on a v-neck tee, he wore them everyday and bought the 3-pack fruit of the loom versions at target.) Tonight, as I was deciding what would go with my new black velvet puff shoulder jacket, I discovered the amazing white tee stuffed in the back of my dresser drawer. Voila, a wonderful outfit (along with my tribal inspired metallic Topshop necklace). As I gaped in awe at the amazing sheerness and softness of the t-shirt, i realized that somewhere online, there must be a recipe for making any old t-shirt look and feel vintage. Here's what i found from the Men's Health website, of all things. I will definitely be trying this out on those Fruit of the Loom 3-pack men's undershirts!

What you need to fabricate a vintage T-shirt:
1/4 c sodium carbonate washing soda + 2 c salt + 1 pack fine-grit sandpaper + 1 new T-shirt

Step 1: Make Your Mix
To create a vintage T-shirt, start by mixing together the washing soda and salt. "The salt acts as an abrasive, making the shirt look older," says Miyong Noh, who, as head dyer at Gene Mignola in New York City, ages clothing for designers such as Calvin Klein and Polo Ralph Lauren. The alkaline washing soda breaks down the new shirt's built-in coating that keeps it stiff, crisp, and . . . well, new. Start with one size larger than you wear; it will shrink considerably.

Step 2: Do The Wash
Throw the shirt into the washing machine with a towel or with other shirts you're trying to age. Set the machine on the highest temperature. "The heat weakens the fibers," Noh says. After the water has risen past the top of the load, dump in the soda/salt mixture and your usual detergent. After it's done, dry the shirt on high heat. Then mix up another, smaller batch of soda and salt, and repeat the whole cycle three to five times, drying on high heat after each wash.

Step 3: Brush It Off
Now for that pesky logo. "Most printed shirts are screened with a resin-based material called plastisol," Noh says. "You can distress the hell out of the shirt, and the plastisol logo will still be pristine." Here's where some elbow grease comes in. Using fine sandpaper, lightly swipe at the logo using circular but irregular strokes. "You have to make the aging look natural," says Noh.


I havent tried it yet because I'm waiting to get to my parents house where we have an in-house washing machine (I figured it'd be too hard to try at the sketchy laundromat downstairs), but i'll definitely let you know and see the results of my endeavors. i would post a pic of the amazing vintage tee but I can't seem to find my camera right now.

if you make one with this recipe, let me know!!
xx
Arianna

ps- the A Peace Treaty giveaway at http://www.StylishAbandon.blogspot.com is still going on, don't miss out!


credit: MensHealth.com

2 comments:

Designer Store said...

Nice post!

Now a days lot of designs have arrived in to men & womens fashion style. But one of the key items every men & woman should have is a pair of jeans that flatters your figure and can be dressed up or down. Check out Designer Store.

Womens blazer jacket said...



Nice post love reading it

Womens blazer jacket

Womens Leather Biker Jacket

Leather for Coats Women