Friday

French Fashion 101-Simplicity Is Key

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ahhh Paris...Baguettes, Berets, and Beauties, Oh my!


My immense love of French Style has already been expressed, but I just thought I'd show it on a larger scale; with a post entirely dedicated to it.


A friend of mine who lived with a French host family in Paris several years ago told me that her host mother, who never left the house without chic red lips and a manicure, had about three outfits, most likely purchased in the fifties.
One Chanel suit
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
1954

One Dior suit
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
1954

and a Balenciaga dress for special occasions.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
1953


Now, I don't think I know ANY fashion-conscious Americans who feel they could survive with just three outfits, but I feel it's the way to go--have LESS clothes of NICER quality. Now, I'm not telling you to throw out all your American Apparel cheaply made tee-shirts and head to your local Balenciaga, I am only expressing my desire to model my own (out of control) shopping tendencies (ADDICTION!) after this fashionable French woman. Yet, an addiction is an addiction, and *sigh* I must deal with it, and feed it (SHOP!!) whenever I can. So, no I may never be a French woman with three designer outfits to my name, but I can learn from her and shop less frequently, thus saving up more money to buy better quality clothing.

PARISIENNNE ESSENTIALS

The French Stereotype-what Americans think of when they hear "French style", though much of it is true

-The Clichéd black and white striped shirt
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Gap (PRODUCT) RED striped long-sleeved T $45 http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=20862&pid=440930

-Black Cigarrette Pants
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The Audrey Hepburn cropped pant $48 http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=15684&pid=411953

-Ballet Flats
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
London Sole red mock croc flats $155 http://www.londonsole.com/ballet-flats-stock.php?style_id=1

-Thick Headbands (À La Brigitte Bardot)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
L. Erickson Patent Leather headband $18 http://www.amazon.com/L-Erickson-Patent-Leather-Headband/dp/B000LWIAD6/sr=1-21/qid=1167952737/ref=sr_1_21/102-8118170-1336922?ie=UTF8&s=beauty

-Winged eyeliner
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Too Faced liquif-eye $17.50 http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P35210&categoryId=B70

-The French Trench
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Banana Republic Classic Trenchcoat http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=15221&pid=448551&vid=1

-Red Lipstick (INSTEAD of eyeliner, please don't do the two at the same time)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nars Lipstick in Fire Down Below (yes that is really the given name) $23 http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P2865&categoryId=B70

-Pencil skirts
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
American Apparel Interlock Pencil Skirt $30 http://www.americanapparelstore.com/rsa7302.html

-Dark sunglesses
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chanel Sunglasses $319 http://www.sunglassesportal.com/detail.php?itemid=62672&rangeid=123

-Pearls
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
14k Three Piece Pearl Set $32.62 http://www.amazon.com/14K-Three-Piece-Pearl-Set/dp/B000BH26D6/sr=8-5/qid=1167972814/ref=pd_bbs_5/102-8118170-1336922?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry

-Opaque tights
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Solid Thermal Tights $16 http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=25576&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=10&iSubCat=708&iProductID=25576

-Simple jewelry-a gold chain necklace and small stud earrings
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tiffany starfish pendant $550 http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.aspx?sku=11175422&mcat=148204&cid=96662&menu=1&page=3

-PERFUME!! French women don't use different perfumes for different occasions, they find a signature scent that works with their skin's pheromones and use it FOREVER.
Chanel is a classic French perfume purveyor, and I like Chanel Mademoiselle the best.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
$95 http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?productID=FWCOM11C

I use Burberry London, a choice which took several weeks of testing perfumes and asking people's opinions. No, I did NOT ask strangers on the street to smell me... I asked my friends. But I DID get told (without my asking) that I "smelled like heaven" by one guy on the street, and that pretty much solidified my perfume choice.

-and lastly, a cigarette GLUED to your hand.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



LA PARISIENNE MODERNE-what I observed while in Paris last Summer

-Sleek little black dresses
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Velvet Carmen Dress $165 http://www.shopbop.com/shop/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441796243&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024627&fm=browse-category&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181057&bmUID=1167970682514

-Slouchy black bags
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Motorcycle Bag SALE $59.99 http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=24272&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=77&iSubCat=78&iProductID=24272
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Anna Corinna Jet Setter Jr. $400 http://www.shopbop.com/shop/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441796330&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024667&fm=browse-category&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181057&bmUID=1167971364372

-Dresses with uncomplicated patterns in: turquoise, red or deep blue.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Julie Haus Yacht Dress $253 http://www.shopbop.com/shop/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441795719&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024627&fm=browse-category&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181057&bmUID=1167971202274

-Espadrilles
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Castaner Carina 2 SALE $120.56 http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17128639/c/3.html

-Pashmina Scarves
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
http://www.thepashminastore.com (Or if you live in New York or Paris, head to the street vendors)



FRENCH STYLE ICONS
-Francoise Hardy-French Singer
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
-Anna Karina-Danish born French actress
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
-Coco Chanel-designer
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
-Jean Seberg-American actress who spent a lot of time in France and was in French films
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
-Catherine Deneuve-actress
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
-Carole Bouquet-actress
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
-Brigitte Bardot-actress and sex symbol
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
-Lou Doillon-Jane Birkin's daughter, actress
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And now for some French street fashion

I love this woman, I want to be this stylish when I'm older
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Also check out
www.apc.fr
www.comptoirdescotonniers.com
www.zadig-et-voltaire.com
links at right

French women's style is all about looking thrown together, yet chic; as if everything in your closet makes you look so incredible, you needn't even look as you grab any old shirt to throw on. In reality, it takes a while for ANY fashionable girl to get ready, no matter how "thrown together" she looks. The trick is to keep it simple, opting for figure-flattering clothing that will still be in style next year

STAPLE ITEMS that are worth splurging on
-a worn-in-to-the-perfect-softness cashmere sweater
-a pair of jeans you know you look great in
-a pair of black pants (slimming on everyone)
-a button down shirt (whatever color/style you prefer)
-a fitted coat (pea coat or trench coat)
-a little black dress that makes you look fabulous
-black heels
-a perfectly worn-in leather purse
-leather sandals
-a sweet summer dress


That's all for now folks!
-Arianna
fashioninsider00@aol.com
questions or comments are welcome!

To be added to the mailing list, comment with your email address. Please tell me if you would like your comment deleted afterward for privacy purposes.
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS IS SO GREAT!! i love french style! You really know what you're talking about. Impressive!

Anonymous said...

Seemed trite,stereotypical,hodge-podge and hurried. You threw this together in under 15 using Google images didn't you?

Arianna said...

wow thanks for taking the time to comment so rudely. don't like my style? Don't read this.

Anonymous said...

THANKKKKKKKYOUUUUUUUUU THANKYOU THANKYOUUUUUU!!!!!!!
i needed this so bad lol
wikd tips! i shall be revamping myself very very soon =D

Anonymous said...

your vision is very very very stereotyped! you show a lot of pictures of movies and styles from the past. Things have evolved..

Arianna said...

I know that, i lived in Paris for half a year. check out my modern french style article if you dont believe me

Anonymous said...

I, for one, thank you, and it pretty much jives with what I have been told and have seen. I am going this fall (to Paris) and already have mostly European clothing in my closet (lived in Europe for 5 years)...so it was great to know I really do not need to buy much more to not look so touristy. Is it possible to get a men section and/or what you observed men wearing, so I can dress my fiance':) TY

Anonymous said...

thanks for this article.
it's well organized and condensed.
merci!

kenny said...

I love french fashion!

Anonymous said...

I dont really know anything about French fashion, so despite what the others said, I liked it. So what, if it was stereotypical? She has a right to express her opinion. I liked it, it keeped me interested, and now I have to do my homework! I saved this link on my favorites so I can frequently visit your blog! New obsession!

ct said...

Don't listen to those anonymous idiots, it's obvious that they hate their lives and have nothing better to do. Maybe you should moderate your comments.

elizford1 said...

Thank you. I think this was just what I needed to look at today. Enjoyed all the photos.

Rosie said...

This is great :) Thanks! x

Ron said...

I liked everything you put together! Much like the French look of things that seem thrown together, you had to take your time to get it so right. Please add me to your email list.
ron.bolander@gmail.com

Simone said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE French Fashion, Great post, this article has inspired me to do a post on French fashion on my fashion website: http://www.myfashionbeautytips.com

Can you please also add me to your mailing list: simone [@] myfashionbeautytips.com

Leather Coats said...

nice post love reading it

Leather jacket women said...

Nice post love reading it

Womens Leather Biker Jacket

blazers for women

Aga said...

very good, at first sight all the same has been said but you brought a new flavor, keep it that way :-)

Aga said...

add me to your mailing list: aganap71@yahoo.co.uk

Fashionable Leather Jackets for Women said...

really amazing blog